Saturday, May 31, 2008

Moon-washed College Halls

MISPLACED CHILDHOOD, Marillion, 1985



I discovered this one soon after I went to college, and Fish's lyrics, although obscure at times, were very attractive to me as a wannabe writer. The album's conceptual themes of losing one's innocence and saying goodbye to one's childhood (and later reconciling with one's childhood) also resonated with me in being away from home for the first time. Throughout high school I listed mainly to metal, punk, and post-punk (and a few of the "classic" rock bands like the Beatles and Pink Floyd, but once at college I broadened my horizons in all directions, one of which was progressive music. I picked this up because Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden said Marillion was his favorite band. Kim wasn't really into Celtic Frost, Slayer or the Dead Kennedys, so Marillion, like Floyd, became something we could listen to while hanging out and studying. Most high school music memories are of times with friends or by myself, most college music memories are of Kim.

"Kayleigh" is a very sad but beautiful song about a breakup, and it was a favorite of ours throughout our time together at school, so much so that we knew what we'd name our daughter when she was born some years later.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wasnt sure were to put my question so i went for the most recent blog! i hope its ok! i i bought your book yesterday and im done with it i was hook on it from the start you are a great writter! so my question is... are you makeing a second book for this book? i really would love it if you did!

Anonymous said...

Q- I noticed there are 2 books that say "Generation Dead", one with the cheerleader, and one with a flower. Is there a difference between the 2 books? Are they like, hardcover and paperback??
~Meg
Ps.- Loved the book!
poor Evan. *sob*

Daniel Waters said...

Hello Anonymous!

The second book, Kiss of Life, went out to the editor today.

Take care,
Dan

Hi Meg!

The one with the flower is for the U.K. edition of the book, which has not been released yet. It will be a "B Format Paperback"--not sure what that is, but I'm guessing it will be similar to a trade paperback.

And I'm glad you enjoyed the book!

Take care,
Dan

Anonymous said...

HELLO! ok so my names Angelica i just posed as anonymous cuz i dont have a blog thing im not into that sort of thing/ or dont know how to get one!n e ways! im soo glad to know now that you will be making another book i cant wait till it comes out im a huge fan of reading and its great when i find new authors that write sooo good so i will be putting you on my list of favorite authors and i will be buying any book you make! so keep me posted if you can on when your other book comes out plez i will be lending the book to my sisters im sure they will love them as well! i know im rambling but just wnated to give you the great news that when i went today to the book store i didnt find any more of your books on the shelf which i take it were sold out!yay! when i went on sunday there were about 5 copys so they went fast im glad i got mine in time! well congratz on such a great book and once agine keep me posted! take care!

angelica

Daniel Waters said...

Hi Angelica!

Thank you for your post, and thank you for putting me on your list of favorite authors (I think my wife is the only other person who has done that).

Ramble on over here any time you like.

Take care,
Dan