Wednesday, April 9, 2008

8 Teens Arrested in Videotaped Beating in Lakeland, Florida

I got up in a pretty good mood yesterday morning. I was scheduled to give my first ever interview for a local newspaper. I made the wretched mistake of turning on the television while I was getting ready, and the first thing I saw was the footage relating to the title above. My good mood vanished immediately and I don't think it is slated to return any time soon

By now most of you are aware of what the horrific story of these Florida teens. Maybe some of you are aware that similar events led me to write Generation Dead. For those that aren't, you might like to read my entry at the "Horror Library Blog-O-Rama", found here, where I discuss what was going through my head when I wrote the novel.

I'm resisting the urge to write a lengthy blog examining all of the reasons why something like the Lakeland beating (and filming) could occur. I'm resisting the urge also to pontificate and share all of my theories on what could be done about situations like this, party because in truth I don't know what can be done about it, partly because I said a lot of what I had to say in the novel, and partly because sometimes--capital letters--Words Are Not Enough. Sometimes, action is required.

Be kind to each other. Please.

No comments: